The following points will help to reduce the pressure on your discs:
- Avoid prolonged sitting, bending, twisting and carrying.
- Wear a support belt when you do manual work.
- Avoid prolonged driving.
Some of the risk factors for developing a disc injury are, if:
- You have had episodes of back pain in the past.
- You have poor physical fitness and poor core stability .
- You do a heavy manual job involving bending and lifting.
- You have a job involving prolonged sitting and vibration ie. driving.
- You smoke.
Chiropractors do treat disc herniations and many scientific studies have shown that a high proportion of patients find relief with this kind of treatment. It has also been shown that Chiropractic treatment is superior to the application of heat, exercises, postural education and also conventional physiotherapy.